Friday, October 07, 2005

Autism, Childhood Vaccines, and other SCAM (so called alternative medicine) quackery

My man and I politely disagree about alternative medicine. While I believe in the healing powers of positive thinking and prayer (to Ronald McDonald, Buddha, Cartman, the Jolly Green Giant), which is evidenced by scientific research,
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:ANCFGNEXWkQJ:xnet.kp.org/permanentejournal/sum05/evidence.html+study+healing+prayer+cancer&hl=en&start=8
and
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:yGGCIZ0CDPAJ:www.azcentral.com/health/wellness/articles/0601health-prayer01-ON.html+study+published+prayer+healing+%22San+Francisco+General+Hospital%22+&hl=en&start=3
(or search for info on cardiologist Randolph Byrd's 1988 groundbreaking study on the power of prayer upon coronary care patients at San Francisco General Hospital)

I am not big on the alternative remedies that are acclaimed by the mass populace. I have a cherokee healing book, and the herbs, flowers, roots and plants they used for healing were very different from what you see on late night television.

One of our greatest arguments concerns the diagnoses of autism in children that have received their vaccinations. I have a big problem with this alternative theory, for a couple of reasons:

A. I did a big, decade long personal research project (for my own interest) on Jonas Salk and the polio vaccine in the '50s. Yes, I understand that more information has surfaced in the past 20 years or so about Dr. Salk, which characterizes him as some kind of megalomaniac tyrant. Love it or leave it, I say. His work, and the work of others who helped create the polio vac were truly revolutionary. Antivirus derived vaccinations may help us evade killer flu epidemics in the future.

B. I'm a little familiar with autism, too. As I mentioned before in other posts, I was decked pretty hard by an autistic boy when I was in third grade. Since then, I like to read about advances they are making. I do believe the disease has much to be uncovered. There has to be a spiritual/metaphysical reason that these autistics have such incredibly acute sensory perception. Cool stuff, if you ask me. Who wouldn't want to see the colors in rays of sunlight? We just need to find a helpful tools for autistics, so they can control and refine their sensory overload. In my mind, seems like a lifelong acid trip.

So I found a site today that talks about this from my perspective, for the first time. (Trust me, I tried to find medical research to debunk this. The medical community completely shuns the idea, because they consider it too valueless to try and refute the theory. )

Check out:
http://quackfiles.blogspot.com/2005/06/dont-believe-childhood-vaccine.html

Also, see www.quackfiles.com. Interesting stuff. I'm not big on being a dummie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home