Saturday, November 05, 2005

Hawaii Screens For Bird Flu and New Opportunities For Writers

Hawaii is now apparently screening airline passengers for bird flu.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051105/ap_on_he_me/bird_flu;_ylt=AgbijIHhhWzUrPa8efT85NGs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3b2NibDltBHNlYwM3MTY
Makes sense, considering its proximity to Asia. However, from my recent readings from the WHO regarding Avian flu, I learned that carriers may seem only to have traditional flu symptoms, or MAY BE ASYMPTOMATIC.

I don't know what to tell you people, except I see the next big stink in politics will be over hoarding privately produced medications. Tamiflu is one of two vaccinations that can halt Avian Flu in its tracks. The Governments of the World are now stockpiling it "in case of emergency".

Tell me that is the right course of action. Tell me that it isn't more appropriate to designate representatives from both the public and private sectors to distribute these drugs when necessary. At least that way you won't have groups surfacing later who claim that "the man" was really trying to eradicate their race, and wouldn't distribute drugs to Black/Green/Yellow/Orange/Purple people.

Sharpen your pens and start your bill-writing. I see whole new opportunities open for legislation aimed at Disaster Relief preparedness and logical solutions for pandemic disease control.

This needs to be written down and set into legislative stone. I don't want to have unwritten rules making decisions for me, a la "Outbreak" or "The Stand".



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home