Thursday, April 20, 2006

Wine Review

One blogger I check out is an Atlanta native and shares my passion for food.
In this city of (largely) the food nouveau riche, who really don't appreciate the finer things, this is a huge discovery for me. Her blog - Live to Nibble - is located here: http://livetonibble.blogspot.com/ .

She wrote a post about gas station wine, and her amazing albeit shameful find of great bargain buys. I ecstatically posted a comment. This is a familiar and favorite topic as of late. Here is what I wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am now passionate about "Bargain Wines", although shopping at the gas station isn't really an option for me (I live in the NW ATL suburbs - our gas stations carry Boone's Farm).

I have a couple recommendations for the $6-$15 range:

1. Lindeman's Bin 70 2004 Chardonnay-Riesling: Not too sweet, with pleasant grassy notes. Smells like bee balm. Not acidic, and doesn't leave that scratchy thing on the back of your throat. Great buy.

2. Bodegas Muga Rioja Rose 2004
A really hard find right now, everyone seems to have discovered this one. I read about it in the LA Times, and found it at Sherlock's. A sommelier I met there starting gushing about it when he saw me carrying the bottle, and proceeded to follow me around the store. Yummy rose', not too sweet. They left enough skins in there to give it a pleasant fruity flavor, though. Reminds me of nectarines and cherries mixed.

3. Bogle Petite Syrah 2003
This is easily accessible and a great red. I haven't been drinking red lately because I want something chilled, but this one was a true addiction for a few months. Petite Syrah is way less complex on the palate than Pinot Noir, which is a little too high falutin for me. Bogle's 2003 has a lot going for it - deep cherry notes that aren't acidic. One sip fills the mouth pleasantly. Great buy.

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

1 Comments:

At Thursday, April 20, 2006 9:14:00 AM, Blogger Cathy said...

I am so honored to be featured on your blog! I hope you won’t be terribly disappointed to hear that I am not an Atlanta native but rather a recent transplant from New York. This city, however, has charmed me into never wanting to leave. It’s amazing to watch the growth around me on a daily basis. I snooped around your blog a bit and discovered that we have at least two more things in common besides food, a love for shoes and a legal career. Naturally, I am much more excited about the former than the latter. I do hope you come back and visit my site again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home