Saturday, August 27, 2005

Greek Tragedy (Stephanie Klein) v. The Satire Blog

Hmmm....

I received a comment about my Stephanie Klein post. (Apparently someone out there in the blogging universe has time to google their own posts, or "Stephanie Klein" or something. Granted, I admit I google the name of my blog, so I guess my blast of that one is completely unwarranted and I am just as narcissistic as the next creature on earth).

Anyway, this lovely reader commented, and asked me if I knew that Stephanie Klein had sent a comment to the folks at Blogspot, because she didn't like a certain satire blog that made fun of her. ( See the blog at http://taleoftwosisters.blogspot.com/, the article about the tale of two sisters blog being shut down by Stephanie Klein's allegations of copyright infringement at http://lindsayism.com/2005_08_01_archive.php#112507059146061457)

So I will comment on the comment. First, Stephanie's writing style is a bit fruity and chick-lit like, but I believe she is on the path of great writing. Second, I don't believe she is trying any harder than the rest of us with her allusions to the "good life". True, she does talk about her clothes quite a bit, and her Dean & Deluca purchases, and her gourmet-esque cooking. However, I don't particularly find those affectations to be pursuits of TV characters or the wealthy. I shop Dean & Deluca by catalogue, and I consider myself a pretty great cook (thanks given to my 8 month stint as a pastry chef, and my sister's influences). If I can carry a Kate Spade bag ($5 from Goodwill) and shop Dean & Deluca in itty bitty Crittersville, Georgia, I can't fault a NYC girl for following the same line of thought.

Third, I don't see a whole lot of "Sex and the City" in her blog. She doesn't talk about getting laid anywhere as much as I do. I thought the whole point of "Sex and the City" was for us boring chicks to want to fantasize about a life of a career woman in NYC, who has an interesting sex life while affording Prada.

As far as the satire girls go, what was the purpose of satirizing her blog? Is she that irritating? I can understand, I suppose. Somehow I feel that this satire was a response to a deeper feeling...the satire writer must know Stephanie Klein from somewhere.

I will substantiate this by Stephanie's shitty comment letter to blogspot, criticizing this satire. Why the fu#k would she care if someone had satirized her blog? A satire blog is the epitome of making it, my dear. More exposure for you, and your "blog-hits" will reveal that, I'm sure.

How does any federal copyright act protect her? I am lost there. I can totally see some goombah at blogspot taking her threat seriously due to the fear of litigation. As someone who works in legal, albeit not an attorney, I am a little pissed about that. So much wasted time spent in this world at a ridiculous billable rate, concerned with someone with their feelings hurt who threatens legal action. Shame on you.

I just want to write my own crap. Thanks. Appreciate the info, so I can check out the satire, which is pretty funny. Everyone is ripe for criticism. Laugh a little. Be pleased that your personality is definite enough to be a candidate for satire.

Thanks for the entrance into the ultra-weird world of the internet. This must be what happens when girls go tech. Catty, bitchy........................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home