Saturday, October 08, 2005

The Apprentice, Wedding Cakes, and my wedding

The last Apprentice: Martha Stewart episode placed the job applicants in the position of trying to create, make and sell wedding cakes. I really liked that show. I should have been trying to be Martha Stewart's employee.

One of my favorite and shortest stints in my varied employment was as a Pastry Chef. My mother ran a catering company when I was young, and I worked for a large catering company in Atlanta for awhile. I had contemplated going to culinary school, and probably should have. However, several things held me back:

A. You have to taste what you make. After several experiences of having blood sugars in the 500s, because of my job, I felt it was an on-the-job risk I couldn't bear.

B. Chefs don't cook for fun. I am not big on cooking when I am not in the mood, I feel the product isn't emotionally driven from the right place.

I thought it was funny that the last Martha Stewart episode revolved around cakemaking. Last week, I found myself doing my typical webcrawling and I discovered a website. The page was dedicated to a television segment a show had done where they gave one couple the wedding of their dreams. Each week, the audience picked something new for the couple: the hair, the clothes, the cake, the rings, the location....

The location picked for the couple was a destination package in the Caribbean. As my own wedding is tentatively scheduled for a little spot in the Caribbean, I was completely intrigued. Zach and I have been a bit stumped about the wedding cake issue.

How do you get a wedding cake made in what is normally a bit of a third-world country, and how much would it cost?

We don't like cake. Do we need cake? Especially considering how informal our wedding will be (white linen and bare feet) I can't see us having some outrageous, $1000 cake.

Anyway, take a look for yourself at the cakes above. We don't want to spend our fortunes on cake, but if we could, here is what we may have chosen. They are awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home