Thursday, October 13, 2005

Liberals are soooooo politically correct

I'm doing research on this subject, so that is the only reason I have been reading up on it.

When I was a kid in CA, political commentators referred to recent emigres from Mexico as "Illegal Aliens". I guess the liberal left has taken issue with this term. Why?

What is wrong with aliens? I personally want to get to know aliens, whether they come from another country or another planet. Lest I be termed an alien-bumper-sticker-toting-UFO-enthusiast, I need to gently explain.

Alien, as defined by Yahoo Education, is:

NOUN:
1. An unnaturalized foreign resident of a country. Also called noncitizen .

2. A person from another and very different family, people, or place.

3. A person who is not included in a group; an outsider.

4. A creature from outer space: a story about an invasion of aliens.

(Ecology An organism, especially a plant or animal, that occurs in or is naturalized in a region to which it is not native. )

Only when you look at "Alien" as an adjective do you see that it can describe something foreign or strange. Where I come from, being foreign or strange isn't necessarily a bad thing. Much better to be slightly eccentric than one of the homogenous sheep.

Now, instead of "illegal alien" being an appropriate term, liberals use "undocumented resident". Well shoot. My cat is an undocumented resident. Until her birth certificate was completed on Day 5, my kid was an undocumented resident.

And doesn't the weight of responsibility cast upon the word "undocumented" seem evil? Undocumented by whom? The big, bad, almighty man, the government, of course. I hate to assign ownership of a word to the government unless I have to, and when you stick this phrase out there for political commentators to parlay, it immediately is. Screw that. The man (or men, as it probably should be) already takes my money and blow it, and claims that fiscal accountability exists. You can't have my language, dammit. It isn't linguistically responsible to go ahead and give them a big multi-syllable word like undocumented.

It would be much nicer to give them a little bitty word from beginning phonics, especially since we have DD in office. (Dumbass Dubya, in case you didn't know).

Any suggestions? I hate to give up man (therefore, unmanned) unless we have to. I like man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home