Saturday, March 19, 2005

Should I delete his recent promotion to AS$&OLE OF THE MONTH? I feel sorry for him now...

I am now having mixed feelings about my AS@$OLE OF THE MONTH.
Although Mr. Medical Researcher is evil, I almost don't think he knows that his right-wing pushing agenda is evil, and I think he is just like every other jerk out there who is determined that they are right about it all.

Mr. Medical Researcher made a bad mistake, you see. He blah-blah-blah-blah-blahed about the Tuskegee syphilis experiment one night, giving the opinion that because the treatment of syphilis with antibiotics had not been proven to be an effective treatment, that the experiment had been put way out of proportion. He believed that the racist connotations of the whole process were contrived in a way, because those poor scientists just had no clue that penicillin worked...

Ouch. I am with a group of people, listening to Mr.Medical Researcher, that is about 60% Minority (50% of which are African American). I kind of questioned Mr.MR about the whole thing. For example, if the physicians involved with the experiment had an inkling in their brain that treatment using antibiotics was effective, didn't that violate the hippocratic oath? Isn't the question here about their dismissal of all medical ethics they were taught?

Mr.MR blew me off - I hate it when people argue and won't listen to your point, they are too busy constructing their argument - and continued to blah-blah-blah...

Unfortunately, a friend of mine is growing more angry by the minute about this thing. As my friend put it, it is a disservice to spread an opinion based on politics, and ignoring evidence. This disservice is 30X worse when your audience is a group of people of that race - a group of people whose history within the US is now being misconstrued...

My friend is militant, I will give you that. I understand where he is coming from sometimes, I admit it. However he has developed opinions based on his experience (and the speakers he listens to who have mastered the art of idolatry and influence) that are a little, well, off. My poor friend fed me some militant crap on the phone, and I got so pissed off he was apologizing minutes later....it is such a hypocritical flaw to be fighting social iniquities when you yourself are biased by the same social iniquity. ( The social iniquity I speak of being rascism).

Anyway, my friend wants to call up Mr.MR on the whole thing. Mr.MR, being a professional researcher, is better equipped to develop his opinions. Because he is better equipped, he can now push his political agendas. However, he just emotionally struck someone with enough fire and anger that I believe my friend could have the potential to develop a pretty air-tight argument. However, I know that my friend will either

A. Do adequate research to prove his case; or
B. Start by proving his case, and then lose it when he is not heard, or cannot demonstrate his point effectively....

So I have a little fear in my heart. Did I mention that my friend is under the constant influence of a pretty powerful stimulant? I foresee a lot of yelling and the potential for violence. Unfortunately, I believe I have to be present when this occurs.

I don't want to be sucked in as the voice of reason....I am not interested in fighting this fight. At a certain point, I just don't care when someone starts throwing their personal politics into an issue. The issue automatically will lose any reason... that bias miscontrues any attempt to discover truth. Both Mr.MR and my friend are guilty of that.

Anyway, I might rethink my designation of AS$&OLE OF THE MONTH. I think I might end up feeling pity for Mr.MR. Once I pity the guy, I don't know that I can dislike him so intensely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home