Saturday, August 27, 2005

And now for the guilt (or, WHY IT IS OKAY TO HATE STEPHANIE KLEIN)

The good certainly do die young.

And as I read the other perspective, on why Stephanie Klein is a self indulgent twat, I begin to feel pangs of guilt about my last blog post. Yes, it is ultimately indulgent to post about 8 Billion boring pictures of yourself on your blog. Yes, describing the contents of your bedside table is boring when the contents are a reflective piece resembling something from the New Yorker.

But I begin to feel even more guilty when I find out just how goofy it is to allege copyright infringement based on a pretty funny satire. I find this all to be something like if Mike Myers' Mother-In-Law had sued for his Linda Richman character. If you are written about in the New York Times, and you are on your way to a book deal, then sorry, baby, you are fair game. I said that you were on your way to being a good writer. I dare say I wonder why you were granted a book deal so quickly, as you are ON YOUR WAY.

I'll gladly support anyone who is against that kind of neurotic, egocentric pity-party.

And here they are, the blasphemers according to Blogspot, the people wearing a "Stephanie Klein sued me" t-shirt. Although I am done discussing it, and I won't read Greek Tragedy any longer, I support you in spirit.

http://lindsayism.com/2005_08_01_archive.php#112507059146061457
http://taleoftwosisters.blogspot.com/
http://rangelife.typepad.com/rangelife/2005/08/the_lamest_stor.html
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/
http://celebrationofbanality.blogspot.com/
http://www.seenster.com/movabletype/archives/2005/08/thanks_for_ruin.html
http://noisette.blogspot.com/2005/08/if-only-id-taken-copyright-in-law.html
http://federalism.typepad.com/
http://360degreesofsky.blogspot.com/

2 Comments:

At Monday, August 29, 2005 10:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your writing and wish you well. this was posted today on the other site. seems it is less about thin skinned parody and really about theft and confusion. also, who says she was behind it?

As a lawyer, I wrote when you intially started this site and you and your lemmings chose to ignore rather than act smart. Read- I am not your enemy. Again, I am not your enemy. The legal advice you have gotten from people on this site is wrong. You truly do not know how many infringements you have commited and the puntiive damage that Ms. Klein Could gain. The way you are going, you will continue to believe you understand the law and what is right until you have nothing but ego smashed. A few things to think about-

Do you think Google isn't sensitive to free speech? Honestly, They know the law better than you and whoever you consulted and saw reason to take your site/infringing posts down.

Try to get anyone's site taken down and you'll see THE DON'T DO IT UNLESS THEY BELIEVE THEY WILL GET SUED AND LOSE! Read that line again please.

I don't think Stephanie Klein threatened suit of you. My thought is her publisher is rightlfully protecting their investment. A prior comment stated the real deal here. Just because you call something "satire" or "parody" does not make it so. Your site has not been clever. You ADMITTED YOU STOLE HER POSTS! Just because you change "Pam" to "Yogurt" does not magically make it not her property. Escpecially when you try to make it look like it is yours and a reasonable person who hasn't read her work might think it is yours.

Again, I am not your enemy. I truly don't believe Stephanie Klein is your enemy. I'm sure you would do the exact same thing as she if someone stole your work. Parody is fine. She can take it. Theft is another. Delete all the stolen posts and be clever enough to write your own in the same style.

Quick question, what did she ever do to you? what would make someone so angry at another to devote their time to such a meaningless endeavor? She writes a blog. you write a blog. she doesn't give political opinions or knock anyone. why do you find it something of interest to anyone?

OK, best of luck with the site. You can either hear the rational things being brought forth here and play fair or Ms. Klein could own your house. My opinion is she is showing real restraint from not slamming you with monetary damages. This from you who visciously attacked someone you do not know, stole their work and said it was your own all anonymously.

 
At Tuesday, August 30, 2005 12:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who the hell is this "lawyer" who posts the same incoherent, unproofread comment on every site?

(thanks for the link)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home