Sunday, August 07, 2005

Kindergarten

My daughter starts kindergarten tomorrow. Ouch. It hurts just writing that.

Over the past year or so, I have become really congnizant that she is getting to be a real little girl now - not just a cute Gerber baby with curly hair.

Let's see - what has made me aware -

- Losing her front tooth
- Learning to tie her shoes
- Memorizing 4+4, 8+8, 16+16, 32 +32, and so on
- Her hair is now long enough to french braid
- I think she has cried for me twice in the past year
- Her favorite phrase is "It's a portal! Let's go through it!!!"
- She can wear my t-shirts to sleep in
- She doesn't die when she goes somewhere without her puppy.

Those of you without children may not understand the wistfulness I am feeling right now. I had such an amazing time with her as a baby and as a toddler, it has seemed completely surreal that she has really grown up into a girl. I can't pick her up very easily anymore, and that makes my heart hurt. I can't hold her on my hip, and walk around because it puts my back out.

I want more babies. Ooops. I didnt' say that. Don't you dare repeat it because it was a Tourrette's syndrome moment. I didn't mean it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home