Thursday, January 20, 2005

A friend sent me an email today, telling me about her exceptional soy chai latte and how happy it made her. She instructed me to choose to be happy for just one minute and enjoy it thoroughly. As I was a bit of a true bitch today ( I hurt three different people's feelings and was ridiculously apologetic afterward, I felt so terrible about it) I guessed that this was gentle encouragement on her part. So here goes, again, my list of things that make me happy. Trivial or not, my day seems somewhat lighter and I feel more childlike with these as part of my existence.

1. Tonight is the beginning of the new season of The Apprentice. Between that and the new American Idol season, I am positively ecstatic about watching television again.
2. I made it to work today. That was a plus, considering how crappy I have felt. I assume there is a reason my insulin pump's manufacturer has a patent "pending".
3. I bought a present for a baby shower today, and was ultimately thrilled that I am not pregnant, thinking about being pregnant, or planning a pregnancy. Love my babe, but there is an element of headache to having/preparing for a newborn. On the other hand, seeing all of the new baby crap they have out reminded me I need to go to Toys R Us and "toytest" with my friend who works there. We usually get away with it because her Manager knows I tend to bring them funds.
4. I went to the Doctor last week and discovered I had gained 20 lbs. in six weeks, according to his scale. I admit I suffered from a wee bit of blues after that experience. However, I am now fully recognizing that I am not insane: no amount of starvation, pill-popping, exercise or other weight loss techniques (I'm honestly amazed at the amount of people I know with an eating disorder. They are a bit like freckles, I think. Their rationale is amazing. More on that later.) will fight the all-encompassing weight gaining power of INSULIN. Managed to stay optimistic and remain on my 1000 calorie per day diet.
5. Went to class this week and discovered the members of my team have bailed on me for various reasons. As our final is next week, and is 60% of our grade ( Each individual grade in this particular course is weighted at 65% teamwork, 35% individual - you do the math) I felt I kept my composure rather well. I am sitting here smiling despite the fact I have yet to start on my 15 minute powerpoint presentation, or my 2000 word essay.
6. A very close family member went to the gym for their typical 2.5 hour workout yesterday morning and fell unconscious on the floor. They were sent to the hospital all day yesterday for testing (when you are in your early 50s, I suppose that is the protocol) and seem to be fine. However, my current project is locating for them a qualified shrink specializing in something or another. As this person is making entire leaps in actually wanting to be shrunk, I am both thrilled that they want to go, but intimidated thinking I will send them to the one person who fu#$s them up. That's a toss up on the happy scale, I suppose.
7. I get to hang out with my daughter, my just turned 3 year old pseudo stepson, and my 15 year old pseudo-stepdaughter this weekend. HURRAY for VALIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8. My daughter presented me with some of her art yesterday. It was a drawing of us eating at our favorite mexican restaurant, complete with the weird fake Degas on the wall, the sombrero lamps and etc. I was thrilled to pieces and laughed and laughed at her attention to detail. Who would've thought.
9. My sweet Zee watched a rerun of Newlyweds with me yesterday - the one where Nick surprises Jessica with a puppy for her birthday. Zee broke down in tears, and I told him how thrilled I was to be with a man who was that sensitive and sweet. He ran out of the room, and came back a few minutes later. "I don't wanna watch this show anymore." I laughed and laughed and laughed.
10. I found some lovely New York Times articles this morning that gave me a thrill... how about booksluts.com? The similarities of brain patterns amongst liberals and conservatives? Or Forbes article about Super-Spas? Yay for some inspiration!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home