Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Positive Psychology

Recently, the Woodstock of Psychology conferences was held at Disneyland. No lie. Read the NY Times article if you don't believe me.

I follow psychology a bit. Mostly because I can't get the asshole on the street to quit talking to me. I've been told I'm a good listener. Whatever. I just know how to get people to talk.

Anyway, there is a growing schism in the field. Old-school practitioners are falling by the wayside while new practitioners, coming from a humanistic bent, are encouraging therapy as a means for sustaining psychological well being. Going to the shrink is no longer about curing the bad.

My favorite quote from the NY Times article discusses "Positive Psychology". Dr.Seligman, a proponent of this theory, gave a speech about this movement. " By learning to express gratitude, to savor the day's pleasures and to nurture native strengths, a people can become more absorbed in their daily lives and satisfied with them, his research has suggested. "

I love it. Check it out.

"Psychotherapy on the Road to ... Where?"
By BENEDICT CAREY
Published: December 27, 2005
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/27/science/27ther.html?ex=1136437200&en=9cc5a9da482c4954&ei=5070

"



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home