Sunday, January 22, 2006

Deciding to Enjoy Your Life

DISCLAIMER: I have a hookup everywhere. You'll notice that the language is a little "12 Step" centered. No, I am not a friend of Bill W. But I like the thoughts below.

I heard a speaker on the radio this morning talking about "deciding to enjoy your life". It was excellent. She was talking about "wishing our lives away" when we think we'll be happy when, we'll be joyful if, and so on. This is my life, what I'm doing right now is my life: I may as well enjoy it.

That's what makes life so good these days, the decision to enjoy it. Truth is truth without my permission. Acceptance of truth and reality is real recovery to me. To quote a favorite philosopher of mine: "You can't go wrong by doing right."

It's a beautiful thing to use my heart, mind, soul and body to practice the presence of God. To have purposeful joy because that is God's good plan. To simply decide to have faith, to simply trust that "God can and will when sought" is the great lesson in my recovery. My first sponsor used to say: "except for this minute, your life is none of your business" and at first I thought she was crazy. Today I understand.

I am only where my feet are, I am never anywhere else. Since that is the only place I ever exist, that is where I focus my purposeful joy. Whatever is in front of me to do IS MY LIFE at that moment, I may as well have faith and carry on. To simply do my best to do my best and trust God for all results is the easier softer way of living for me today. Another thing she used to say is that: "All results belong to God." And she emphasized ALL. There are no results which are mine to make happen. When I feel as if I need to "Make Something Happen" I am out of my part. My part is to do my part, the results from that action is God's plan. That's why I can't say I've had a bad day because things didn't go my way. How in the world do I know that "my way" is according to God's plan. So many times the results from what I perceive as a terrible situation turns out to be better than my wildest dreams.

I have no idea what God has planned for me, but I can see already that when I turn my life (thoughts) and my will (actions) over the care of God as I understand God, then I am consistently enjoying a life better than my original plan. My life gets better and better as I become more and more accepting. "Thy will, not mine, be done" is the mantra of my day. I do trust God and my faith grows because of it.

"Don't think and go to meetings" is another good direction from sponsors. I don't have to understand or figure everything out. I only have to know what to do next. I ask God to lead me, to guide me, to direct me. I ask God to help me do, say and be according to God's perfect will. I want to serve God's purpose. I do hope each of you is full of joy and hope today. Trusting God is the path. Choosing joy is the way. God bless!

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home