Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Best Wedding Announcement Ever

I went through a phase where I read obituaries incessantly. I consider it a marked change that I now read wedding announcements.

Wedding announcements, especially in the South, are incredibly loquacious pieces of filth, complete with the trappings of learned etiquette. I'm sure if you were to pair a wedding announcement from '06 to a wedding announcement from 1906, you would find a lot of similarities. They are absolutely ridiculous, for the most part.

The language is absolutely awful. You cannot tell me that anyone, outside of a bridal dress designer, can envision "yards of belgian lace were hand appliqued to the sateen overlay, which in turn covered the pockets of antiqued russian tulle". It also means little to me what alma mater the bride and groom claim. I just want to hear how they met, what led them down the path to this, where they will be married, and where they are honeymooning. Not hard.

So for kicks I opened a wedding editorial found in the NY Times this morning. I was knocked off my feet. They need to make a Jennifer Lopez cum Jennifer Garner romantic flick about the writer behind those editorials. They are beautiful. I almost cried reading this morning about the journey one couple went upon....full of missteps and blunders and reconciliations, etc...

"Heather Wolfe and Quindi Franco" by Lois Smith Brady:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/15/fashion/weddings/15vows.html



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home