Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Little mental prayer

I'm a confessed buddhist, which doesn't really lend itself to the belief in an old, gray-haired man in robes who resides in the clouds in a place called heaven. However, I read this prayer today and I was touched. I need more prayer in my life, just to keep me on even keel.

Supposedly this is the prayer of St. Francis, who I only know because people bury him in their yard when they want to sell their house. I actually think he didn't sell his own home, so I'm a little confused about the significance. And as I didn't pay much attention in my own sunday school experiences (except for the good parts, Bathsheba falling out of the window; Jesus telling the disciples to pay less attention to what happens after death, more attention to this life) I don't know who St. Francis was or what he did or how he sold his house. Help from Catholics needed.

Anyway, as I digress like usual, here is the prayer.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace, Where there is hatred, let me sow love;where there is injury, pardon;where there is doubt, faith;where there is despair, hope;where there is darkness, light;where there is sadness, joy;

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

( Oh yeah - St. Francis was the animal guy. I like that. )


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home