Sunday, February 25, 2007

Leonardo Di Caprio, "The Departed", and Phuket/Phi Phi

This is a little jumbled, so forgive me.

1. Friday night, Z came home around 9 PM from work. I had a present - my mom lent me "The Departed". I just had to turn it in to Blockbuster the next day.

Great movie. If you like Scorsese, and gangster flicks in general, it will really do it for you. I thought Jack Nicholson was way campy and kind of crappy, but I did decide that Leonardo DiCraprio can act. I mean, I saw "Gangs of New York" mostly because I love Daniel Day Lewis. He's the intellectual-hot-man. And Leo was ok, even if he does have a bird chest that reminds me of this ultra-hot guy I once dated who wouldn't take his shirt off. Ever. Because his chest had a significant bowl shape indention. People used to make fun of him and say you could eat cereal out of it. But he sure was hot. Last I heard he got back from a modeling stint in Milan.

My point was that Leo's chest got wider, and he did a great job. Go see it.

2. Before we watched "The Departed", Z came into the office, where I was on Britney Spears' Midnight Fantasy website, filling out entries for all my friends to get an audio file of a "midnight fantasy" in Britney's voice. Z said:

"Do you want to go to Hong Kong?"

My nose wrinkled. As some of you may know, Z and I have an absolute parting of the minds when it comes to travel and vacations. I like the beach, preferably with some amazing local food nearby. Z likes man-made wonders, like Vegas. Yuck. I've had enough concrete jungle to last me my entire life. I was practically raised in Los Angeles, and I spent way too much time in Atlanta. Humans and their big buildings just don't do it for me.

Turns out Z's best friend is planning a trip in November to Hong Kong and Singapore. We think he's trying to get a wife. If any of you have some wonder stories about eHarmony, please email me. I'd really love to get him away from a woman who just wants a green card and a man with money. Which he is.

So he invited us. And I said yuck. For the price of airfare there we could go to Hawaii.

Then I remembered my recent Fodors readings about Thailand. During the tsunami of '05, much of the most beautiful beach in the world was shown in South Asia. Apparently european travelers love it there - it's like their version of the Mexican Riviera. But more beautiful.

Leonardo DiCaprio was in a movie several years back called "The Beach", where he ran off to a deserted island in South Asia. It was paradise, and he intended to pull a Robinson Crusoe there.

"The Beach" was filmed in a place called Phi Phi, on the island of Phuket (part of Thailand). And it is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

So I thought, shoot. Let's fly to Hong Kong, get best friend an okay on his bride, and go to Phuket. We can eat bugs and crap there and get an amazing tan and snorkel in crystalline waters.

Anyone know anything about Phuket? And Phi Phi?


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home