Saturday, March 10, 2007

At least I don't say "ain't"

I yelled at Charky last night at dinner when she said ain't. Twice in a row. I told her that only rednecks say ain't, and that she can speak proper english. We can pretend we're socially liberal, but of the upper class. Ain't is fine for reading - such as Zora Neale Hurston. Ain't is not a word for our vocabulary.

When I moved to Georgia, I took voice lessons from this grande dame diva. I have a lot of experience with women like that - when I was little I was involved in all of these community productions all directed by grande dames. One in particular made me laugh - she lived next door to "The Beaver", and he came by and visited us while we rehearsed. The way she would swoop around with her arms acting as gliders, very akin to a bird, was truly drag-queen. Anyway, this latest Floridian diva who lived in Georgia always congratulated me because she didn't have to teach me english. She said that she couldn't stand teaching the natives - a southern drawl incorporated into the Venus aria of Wagner's Geliebter, komm! would sound really icky.

So Z's mom sent me a quiz - "Yankee or Dixie?"
http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/yankee_dixie_quiz.html

I mean, I'm from California, people. We invented the word "suck", which I still use all the time. And we also invented the use of the word "gay" (As in, "That is soooooo gay"), which I use until Z socks me in the arm. I try to avoid using "like", as I think it sounds awful. But "awesome" and "cool" are still incorporated into Snewo language.

But I speak dixie. Oh well.

69% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home