Thursday, September 15, 2005

Skip Brittenham, Fly Fishing and "The River Runs Through It"

I signed on for a Forbes account a couple of years ago, and I have discovered that they continually harass me with a barrage of e-mails, usually with articles I am not interested in. I am unsure what the hell is going on with them - business news needs an element of readability added to it so that it seems more like an intriguing Vanity Fair article, versus something technical and dry. Forbes usually perfects this recipe. Problem is, their subject matter as of late sucks. Tell me how ol' Chris Lambert is doing post Kmart/Sears. Tell me about the Delta CEO - how is he holding up? Spotted drinking too many gin-and-tonics at the golf course?

Imagine my surprise when I get an excellent business article from the LA Times. Yes, I think the paper is generally a pretty outstanding read. No, I don't usually tap into it for more than the Food, Style, or Legal news section.

Today you can read about Skip Brittenham - one of the most influential entertainment attorneys in the city. He's so well respected for his negotiating prowess that he represents both sides, without any allegations of conflict of interest. Self made man, married to the actress from "The Fall Guy".

"He Reels In The Big Deals" -

Entertainment attorney Skip Brittenham has clients on all sides of the table. His many fans see assets, not entanglements.
By Claudia Eller, Times Staff Writer. September 15, 2005.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-skip15sep15,0,1148510.story?coll=la-home-business

I have to comment on his passion for flyfishing, you see. I felt like Hollywood understood my family when they made the movie "A River Runs Through It", and I made the book a shelf favorite. You see, both the characters in that book and my own family have similar origins: scotch-welsh presbyterian (well read and frozen chosen), and we take our anxieties out in fly fishing. Even the authors' description of the clock form of fly fishing was dead on. I need a vacation.

The fact that Brittenham flies around the world to fish for trout in New Zealand on the spur of the moment - wow. You're the man, dude. I only wish. I can totally identify the mindset of a type A personality, aggressive, narcissistic, and self-deprecating, who would want to attend a power meeting on Friday night, then take an overnighter for a four day fishing trip.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about Self-Actualization lately. Unfortunately, I'm at a point in my life where a lot is going well, but I desperately need some fun. I've just been lacking the creativity and inspiration. What the hell. Adulthood can really bring you down with the minutiae of life, you know? It's kind of pathetic that I am stressed out over stuff that is really dumb - my broken lumbar support in my driver's seat in the truck, house-hunting, lack of sleep, debts...

Come on, everybody. Let's go live a bit, and have a good time, and laugh. We need it right now, especially with the world events of recent past. (Don't get me started on the presidential TV interupption tonight at 9 PM central)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home