Monday, January 23, 2006

I'm Tired

Of being a Mom. Because:

- I can't even remember the last time I went to a bar.
- I can't remember the last time I wore makeup, outside of work.
- I can't remember the last time I had sex without internally flipping out because my daughter likes to burst in on us.
- I can't remember the last time I went to the beach sans kids.
- I'm broke and I'm trying to figure out how to make myself broker by having more kids.
- Instead of treating myself to Nordstroms for my birthday, I'll probably treat myself to a stain-resistant, cat-resistant couch.
- Instead of waking up at noon on the weekend feeling righteous and blessed, I wake up feeling guilty.
- When I control what my daughter eats, I feel my mother nagging and controlling my own eating habits.
- My daughter puts her hands on her hips and sasses me. I feel just like I did in third grade when all the mean girls were naughty.
- Because my pseudo-stepdaughter's teenage tales of mischief don't make me feel like a disciplinarian. I feel like I'm missing out.
- Because I forgot how to see out of a child's eyes a long time ago.
- Because I don't provide rewarding experiences for my daughter.
- Because I'm emotionally depleted and I just fantasize about drugging myself.
- I avoid baby departments because they make my eyes glisten.
- I dream of a house that doesn't have to be kid proofed.
- If I drink too much while I'm with my daughter I feel bad.
- Because our conversations only rarely provide me with joy.
- Because I'm constantly obsessing, thinking she's lying to me because of some genetic precursor.
- My hair is only now recovering from post-natal depression.
- Because she yelled at me for eating her Froot Loops this weekend. I didn't have Froot Loops as a kid, dammit.
- Because she eats weird things. And doesn't crave fruit. What the hell.
- Because I'm constantly discovering stickers she has stuck me with when I hide in the bathtub.
- Because I can't afford to send her to private school.
- Her sleep doesn't look angelic anymore...it feels like escape.
- I hate the way she treats cats.
- She asks too many questions during movies.
- She already knows how to nod and say "uh-huh" to placate me.
- She already feeds me the answers she thinks I want.
- She isn't willing to try new foods.
- She can't stand to have her hair touched, and runs around like "nell".
- Because she spells letters backwards and I'm afraid she's dyslexic.
- Because her stinkin crabby ol kindergarten teacher thinks she's abnormal even though she's just acting six.




Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:59:00 PM, Blogger taboot said...

she's not abnormal. She's exceptional, and so are you. I know EXACTLY and COMPLETELY how you feel. I love you. I love her. I love my kids...but yes, we had fun when we were single and childless....lots of fun...lots more fun than we ever have now...not to mention the guilt...but really, would you give her back for any cost?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home