Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Lemon Grass Chicken Wraps

I readily admit I'm an addictive/OCD personality. And a lot of this is transferred to food. I find something I like, and I generally eat it every single day for a good 7-14 day period until I'm really tired of it. Right now, I'm at the tail-end of a "Edy's Whole Fruit Popsicle w/Splenda" eating binge http://www.edys.com/brand/fruitbars/flavor.asp?b=136&f=2141.

However, I made something yesterday on my day off work that I know is going to stick with me for a while. It was so good, I thought I'd share.

Snewo's Lemon-Grass Chicken Wraps

Chicken:
frozen boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins
lemongrass stick (Try Whole Foods or your better produce market)
green onions
cumin
chili powder
white pepper
pinch of sea salt

Wraps:
spinach wraps (whole wheat will do in a pinch, but spinach wraps rock)
big stalk of romaine
Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese Wedgies (Spreadable) http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lowcarbandmore.net/images/products/041757011062.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lowcarbandmore.net/productinfo.php%3Fupc%3D041757011062&h=480&w=480&sz=37&tbnid=myetuez1SPGRuM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=126&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3DLaughing%2BCow%2BLight%2BSwiss%2Bcheese%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

Pico De Gallo:
3 decent tomatoes, semi-firm (I like heirloom tomatoes, I buy them at the farmer's market)
1/2 white onion
cilantro
lime juice
chili powder
white pepper
pinch of sea salt

Chicken Prep:
Defrost chicken. I used frozen chicken because the juice is necessary for the marinade. Trim the ends of the lemongrass stalk, and shave the outside a bit. Discard. Sliver off long threads and set aside. Grab a mallet or a mason jar or a kindergartener's head and smush the lemongrass so the oils begin to come out. Throw it on top of the chicken.

Dice the green onion and smush it a little bit too. Throw it on top. Add cumin, white pepper, chili powder, and sea salt to taste. Mix it all up, throw it in the fridge with saran wrap on top.

Marinate overnight.

Next Day Assembly:
Preheat your oven to 350 F. I don't like to cook chicken much hotter than that - it dries it out. Pop your chicken in and cook with the marinade. I think my chicken was done in 30 minutes.

After chicken comes out of the oven, set it aside to let it cool.

Make Your Pico De Gallo Now:
Cube tomatoes and onions. Chop up cilantro leaves and smush em. Add a dash of lime juice. Throw in chili powder, white pepper and sea salt to taste. This won't be very hot, I had to make it Z and Charky friendly. Mix it all together.

Your chicken should be cool to the touch. Throw away the lemongrass shreds, unless you like crunchy grass in your sandwich. Shred the chicken, and throw away those nasty parts.

Wrap:
Lay a wrap on a plate. Spread one wedge of light swiss cheese on the wrap (35 calories so don't freak out) Tear off the green parts of your romaine leaves ( I hate the veins) and layer on top of the wrap. Spoon pico de gallo in a strip, lengthwise, at the first 1/3 of the wrap. Throw shredded chicken on top.

Wrap and eat.

I'll post pictures when I find my stinkin camera cord. I promise it's good... Z won't eat most of my food (he says it is California/Asian/Italian, and he doesn't like any of those cuisines) and he liked it.

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home