Saturday, February 11, 2006

Domesticity, Linen, Key West and I-podding your way to elitism

On the Top of the News in the Snewo Household:

1. Nasty ol' sinus infection/ear infection. Working off the steroid shot given to me on Thursday by my new GP. Almost as pretty as the Bollywood actor-doctor, but this one has this old south/preppy/cute shy thing going on. I mean, his parents own a freaking christmas tree farm, and he helps them out there on the weekends during season. How cute is that????

Anyway, my spirits are markedly better since I started inhaling antibiotics. Suddenly, I'm not so depressed. Funny how that works.

2. Ipodding.
Woke up for the third time early Friday morning to go pee, and decided that since it was 3:45 AM it was kind of silly to go back to bed. Downloaded a bunch of tunes to my ipod and plugged it in. I have a few ipod related comments.
(1) I can totally see how people would go into debt buying new music. I was tired of all of my 100 songs downloaded by 2 PM. That's only a half day of listening. I still haven't bought anything new, but I'm starting to feel like a junkie.
(2) Is there a proper code of etiquette when walking around with your ipod? Doesn't it seem irritatingly isolating when you see someone lost in their own little world? Doesn't it make you think, self-absorbed-like as usual, "Why the hell are they ignoring everybody? Aren't they elitist! Am I not that interesting?"
The truth is usually this: "No, you aren't that interesting."
(3) I always thought that the ipod shuffle sounded lame. But after I found out that you can play it from track one on, without shuffling, I came around. However, I just want you to know that the shuffling part is the best. There is something a little intoxicating and spontaneous about listening to White Zombie, followed by Queen, followed by Dave Matthews, followed by Dire Straits, followed by Rusted Root, followed by Wilson Pickett, followed by Korn, followed by God Lives Underwater, followed by Prodigy.......

3. Vegetable stock making.

I really miss my culinary roots, if you can't tell already. I am one of those people who were meant to simultaneously own a bookstore, deli, and therapist's office. I saw a little bit of that in Key West, and I was immediately jealous. I want to be able to saunter around in my linen drygoods, wearing a big straw hat with huge tropical lilies from my kitchen garden, visiting my businesses. In one minute I would be arranging books, in the next chopping orange peel. I'd have ten canvasses strewn across my yard, as I worked on a number of oils and watercolors without finishing any. I'd bathe in mango juice with lime, chili powder, and a bit of coconut. My skin would never look yellow, and like my life prior to Georgia, I need not wear deodorant. When you're hot all the time, you don't stinky-sweat.

Anyway, my Saturday experiment for this week is vegetable stock. I threw a bunch of large-chopped veggies in a roasting pan: Leeks (smell great), 1 sole tomato ( I hate tomato soup), carrots, parsnips, celery, red and green bell peppers. Stuck em in the oven at 350 F and roasted them until they looked wilted. Supposedly roasting them is supposed to unlock the flavor.
Threw em in my cauldron and poured a couple gallons of water on top. They are simmering, and my house smells like a fresh garden kitchen in July, when you are busy canning and avoiding the yellowjackets.
We're going to ziplock baggie the stock when I'm done, and use for soupy experiments throughout the week.... vegetable stock with barley....vegetable stock with rice....vegetable stock with chopped zucchini and cilantro.....
With foccacia on the side.

Off to domesticity. Wish me luck.
Snewo

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home