Friday, August 31, 2007

Do Factual Research Before You Pronounce an Opinion

So this current professor I have completely pisses me off...I am not big on people who ignore the wide shades of gray involved with an issue. His biggest schpeal that got me was his statement that ALL pharmaceuticals are bad and will kill you. Sure, I understand that pharmaceutical companies are now creating medicines that attract the greatest number of consumers, and are really profit-based at this point. However, some of this shit I need. I'd like to see him come up with some f-ing herbs to treat insulin-dependent, Type I Diabetes. (BTW - when I mentioned this to him he refused to answer the question and ignored me, despite my attempts to make him answer this question. Perhaps that is why my current grade is a B.)

Anyway, our final assignment for A PUBLIC RELATIONS class is to write about one of these censored stories. I thought I'd pass along the link because they are interesting to read.

DISCLAIMER: THESE MAY NOT BE THE COMPLETE, FACTUAL TRUTH.

These stories were written by "student researchers" overseen by "Faculty editors". To really see if what they are saying is true, without spin, you would have to go read the newspaper articles they cite as sources, then determine if those newspaper articles were written with professional, fact-based journalism techniques. NOT EDITORIALS, which are opinion based.

I did think it was interesting, however, that many bits and pieces of these stories have been told on NPR. Despite the fact that NPR government funded (by law), when they aren't leaning one way or another they do tell some truth - stuff you don't read in the newspaper. My only concern is that NPR doesn't cover global news - like CNN, FOX news, and other media, they only cover what is popular.

That's my spin, and here's the link to the Top 25 Censored Stories of 2007.

http://www.projectcensored.org/censored_2007/index.htm

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home